chutes-and-ladders

Saturday, February 07, 2009

G is strong (ie guess who's going to be eating out for a while...)


A couple weeks ago I decided that it was time to replace the microwave/exhaust fan/light combo that is over the range. The microwave hasn't worked in months, well actually I don't remember the last time it worked... We've been using it as a bread box for quite some time. A few months ago the light also stopped working. It's really quite hard to cook in the shadows. I'm not much of a cook as it is, but when I can't see what I'm doing it is even worse. I think the combo was installed when the house was built 40+ years ago and it's a little grimy to say the least. -- yuck!

Anyway, last weekend we bought a new exhaust fan/light combo when we were at the home improvement store buying supplies for the bathroom G is adding in the basement. (We have a microwave on the counter we've been using forever anyway, so we went for just the fan/light this time.) Today I was cleaning the house and I nudged G into taking the old combo down. Neither G or I could figure out how in the world they got that thing up there. He took out all the screws that held it to the cabinet above, he tried to lift and wiggle it, we got out the flashlight and looked as best we could. Finally G got frustrated and muscled the old combo off, pulling down half the wall in the process. I have no idea what we're going to do now. I'm sure some new drywall and tile will be part of the process, but since we have that ugly old yellow tile today, I don't know if we're going to go for some mixture of old and new tile behind the range or if this will snowball into a whole kitchen remodel. You never know around this house!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home