chutes-and-ladders

Monday, May 21, 2012

12 goals for 2012 - check in

Time for another check in on the progress of my 12 goals for 2012

Completed:
6. go away with G for the weekend without the kids
-- back in April the girls spent the weekend with G's parents and he and I had a weekend away to Hermann Mo.  We aren't really the "wine and antiquing" crowd, but it was nice to have some time just the two of us.

8. visit a farmers market or join a vegetable co-op
-- I signed up with Shared Bounty CSA and last weekend they delivered our first cooler full of vegetables.  I wasn't really sure what some of the items were, but we're figuring it out and I'm hoping this will result in some new veggies in our regular rotation.  J was really excited to see what we got and eagerly tasted things.  M is a bit more hesitant -- she says she doesn't like vegetables.

9. read at least 3 books by authors I haven't read before
I've completed this with no problem:
-- "The Gingerbread Bump-off" by Livia J. Washburn, turned out to be a pretty decent mystery. I'll probably pick up some other books by this author in the future.
-- "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)" by Mindy Kaling. I've always found her funny and I definitely enjoyed it.
-- All three books in "The Hunger Games" series.  I put off reading these because of all the hype but overall I did enjoy the story line.  I haven't seen the movie, but I probably will at some point.
-- "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Super Athletes, and the Greatest Race the World has Never Seen" by Christopher McDougall.  I saw this mentioned on a blog I read and even though I'm not a "runner" I did enjoy hearing about the utlra-marathoners and the history of this hidden tribe.
-- Finished "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.  This is another one I saw mentioned on a blog.  It's an account of her journey to make changes in her life to be happier, it's not the easiest/quickest read -- but overall a good message.

In Progress:
1. learn how to make really great soup
-- I'm still in search of a soup I can make well... I'm starting to think it's my lack of cooking skills :)  It's not really soup weather any more, so I think I'll put this one off until the fall.

3. find a charity I really believe in and volunteer there
-- I recently found out that the Creve Coeur Days carnival/parade is put on by a non-for-profit organization that raises money through the event and distributes it area charitable and philanthropic organizations.  I've contacted them and will begin volunteering with them in early June.

4. try 3 new family owned/non-chain restaurants
-- For my cousin's birthday we tried a little family run bakery called La Dolce Via that is down in the city.  The food was great and we had a really nice and relaxed time.
-- One Sunday, we tried a new family run place that is close by called Jenny's Diner.  The food was good, but they were very busy and the service was a little slow.  We'll have to try it again once it's been open a little longer to see if the service is better.

5. have a family picnic in a park
-- the girls and I had a picnic at the Millenium Park playground with my sister and niece, but G wasn't with us -- so while it was family, it wasn't really what I originally had in mind.

10. find a red lipstick I love
-- I purchased a new red lipstick this past weekend, I think it may be a little too pink for me... I'm still deciding.

11. see a band play live
-- we went to the high-school girls basketball game back in February (because the girls had been doing a basketball clinic with the team) and the pep-band was playing. So technically I saw a band play live, but this isn't really what I had in mind when I setup this goal.
-- we have tickets to go see Fiona Apple in July -- this will be the first time we've seen her in concert, G is super excited and I can't wait!

12. teach the girls to bake 1 thing
-- M has made chocolate chip cookies 3 times now.  She can make the dough all by herself and I just help putting the trays in and out of the oven.
-- I still need to find something to make with J.

Not Yet Started:
2. take the girls to paint pottery
7. try a new exercise class (maybe zumba or spinning - not sure yet)

My current score:
3 - Finished
7 - In Progress
2 - Not Yet Started

Considering it's not yet June I think I'm in pretty good shape for the year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home